M.T.S. in Pentecostal Studies
Master of Theological Studies in Pentecostal Studies
This two-year degree program , which is offered in conjunction with Tyndale, is unique in North America.
The MTS in Pentecostal Studies is one of the creative results of the partnership begun between Master’s Pentecostal Seminary and Tyndale Seminary in 1996. The reasons for the launch of the MTS in Pentecostal Studies are several: 1) pentecostalism, which has emerged as a dominant influence within global Christianity, deserves study in its own right; 2) there is a growing demand among pentecostal pastors who have prepared for ministry at the undergraduate level for graduate studies; and 3) the present cooperative relationship between Master’s and Tyndale offers an unusual opportunity. Since Pentecostalism is part of the evangelical tradition, one cannot understand it without analyzing it against the background of the evangelical world. Consequently, the 18 courses in the degree program provide an intensive examination of the history and theology of pentecostalism as well as broader themes from an evangelical perspective.
This program is open to all graduate students. A primary market for this degree will be the pentecostal pastor who desires intensive study of the pentecostal tradition. This degree program will also be of interest to the lay person who desires to study the pentecostal world.
We offer 3 options:
1. MTS in Pentecostal Studies (18 courses)
Bible, Theology and History Courses (7 courses)
- Biblical Interpretation: Interpreting and Applying the Biblical Text [BIBL 0501]
- Old Testament Theology and History [OLDT 0511]
- New Testament Theology and History [NEWT 0522]
- Systematic Theology I [THEO 0531]
- History of Christianity I [HIST 0561]
- History of Christianity II [HIST 0562]
- A Theology elective
Ministry Formation (2 courses)
- Leadership Development [LEAD 0510]
- Gospel, Church, and Culture [MISS 0782]
Pentecostal Studies (5 courses)
- Pentecostal Issues [PENT 0701]
- Pentecostal Spirituality [PENT 0504]
- Introduction to Pentecostalism [PENT 0501]
- Pentecostal Theology [PENT 0505]
- The Charismatic Theology of Luke-Acts [PENT 0503]
General Electives (4 courses)
- Students pursuing ordination ministry in the PAOC should select their electives in close consultation with the program director to ensure credentialing requirements are met.
2. MTS in Pentecostal Studies, thesis option (18 courses)
- Thesis option, PENT 0999, may be taken in place of the two electives.
3. MTS in Pentecostal Studies (with minor)
We have opened up the M.T.S. in Pentecostal Studies to allow for concentrations in the following fields of study:
- Pastoral Ministry – equips you for church leadership in ordained or lay ministry settings.
- Counselling – designed to prepare you for counselling in church ministry settings.
- Spiritual Formation – will facilitate the deepening of your love for God and others as well as teach you the practice of Spiritual Direction.
- Global Mission & Intercultural Studies – designed to prepare you as a missional leader to engage in cross-cultural ministry, locally and globally.
- Youth & Family Ministry – prepares you for working in youth ministries by learning youth culture, youth development, and spiritual ministry.
- Christian Education & Formation – trains you to train others and disciple the church in today’s world.
- Biblical Studies – provides you a broad understanding in Scriptures for a variety of ministry contexts.
- Theological Studies – enables you to understand missional, historical, moral, and doctrinal theology.
To equip and motivate individuals (through the promotion of cognitive, behavioural and spiritual development) to cooperate with the Spirit’s work in bringing about God’s will: that all might know Christ and be transformed into the image of the Coming King.
Have a question?
Campus • Tyndale
3377 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, ON M2M 3S4
2885 Kennedy Road
Toronto, ON M1W 1S8